When creating a backup, a copy of the last version of the file or folder is created – the application will identify the file or folder on your computer and then put it on the backup server. Thanks to the additional configuration offered by Acronis Backup, you can define how many backups of a given resource will be maintained on the Acronis Backup server. What does restore backup mean?
Backup – what is it and what is it for?
Backing up data, otherwise backup is nothing more than additional protection of our files. It is used to restore the original data in the event of loss or damage. Accidental file deletion, virus activity, or physical damage to your computer – all of these cases can create a risk of losing important documents or photos. One of the most effective ways to protect yourself against this unpleasant situation is to just back up your data so that you can recover it. Regular saving of backup should be a constant habit of every computer user. Thanks to this, you will avoid irreversible loss of valuable data or the use of qualified specialists to recover them. First of all, it should be remembered that all equipment has its own strength and durability, therefore there are possible failures and their potential occurrence should always be taken into account. Therefore, if you value your data and do not want to be forced to lose it, you should minimize the likelihood of such unpleasant effects by backing up.
Creating and planning a new backup
If you want to regularly back up some files (photos, video files, documents), do the following:
- In the main program window select Backup.
- Select New backup in the Backups window. A wizard will start and guide you through the entire process. Choose Next.
You can choose the files you want to back up in two ways:
- If you want to back up all files of a specific type (e.g. all photos, all video files), select the file type. You can choose from the following file types: photos, video files, documents (Word, Excel etc.), music, contacts, emails and favorite websites.
- You must select the By file type option from the drop-down list (it should be selected by default).
- If you want to view the file extensions to be backed up, select Show extensions.
- If you want to back up other file types, select My extensions, then Add extensions and select the extension for the new file type you want to back up. Confirm OK to save the changes.
- If you want to exclude some folders from the backup, select Exclusions and then check the box next to the folder you want to exclude.
If you want to back up some files or folders:
- Select By Folders from the drop-down list.
- Check the box next to the folder you want to back up.
- If you want to back up at a specific time, select Schedule and mark the start time. If you do not want to schedule backups, select Off-schedule backups. In any case, you can start the process at any time by clicking Run in the backup settings section.
- Select a descriptive name for the copy you want to save. This will help you identify her easily. If you don’t want other users to have access to the backup, you can password protect it. Select Password protected copies and enter the password. When restoring a password-protected copy, the program will ask for it. Choose Next.
- Click Finish.